Bathroom faucets. Despite being just small fixtures, faucets play a big role in the overall layout of a bathroom. Lavatory, shower and bath fittings assume a distinct personality when faucets are added to the mix.
What is a Bathroom Faucet?
A bathroom faucet, also referred to as a lavatory faucet, is a valve for controlling the release of water into a bathroom sink. The bathroom faucet is also a key element in creating a unique and stylish design in the bathroom. Whether you’re looking for modern lines or traditional country style, there’s a bathroom faucet available to meet your individual tastes.
Selecting a Bathroom Faucet
There are three significant considerations when selecting a bathroom faucet. These include Mounting, Finish, and Handles.
Bathroom faucet mounting is first contingent upon the type of sink the faucet will serve. If you will be using a Self Rimming, Undermount, Pedestal, Console, or Wall Hung sink, you will want to examine the number of holes. This is the first indication of the type of faucet you’ll need. The bathroom faucets used for these types of sinks are widespread, centerset, mini widespread, or single hole. One other option for mounting is the wall mount faucet which is used for vessel sinks.
- Widespread bathroom faucets have a spout and independent hot and cold water handles. Most widespread faucets are able to accommodate installations where the pre-drilled sink holes are between 6″ and 16″.
- Centerset bathroom faucets are made for sinks with pre-drilled 4″ three-hole installations. A centerset faucet has a spout and one handle or two handles. Centerset faucets are mounted with a base unit that covers the three sink holes.
- Mini Widespread bathroom faucets, like centerset faucets, are made for sinks with pre-drilled 4″ three-hole installations. Mini widespread, however, are not mounted on a base unit. Mini widespreads, like widespreads, look as if they have a spout and independent hot and cold water handles.
- Single hole bathroom faucets have a combined spout and a handle. Some single hole faucets come with a cover plate for sinks with pre-drilled 4″ three-hole installations, making them one handle centerset faucets. Some single hole faucets are made especially to accommodate vessel sinks.
- Wall-mounted bathroom faucets are available for a variety of needs. Typically, wall-mounted faucets are used for freestanding vessel sinks. It is important to ensure that the spout provides enough reach to clear the side of the sink. Also, wall-mounted faucets may require a separate wall-mount valve and drain.
Bathroom Faucet Finish
Bathroom Faucets are available in the following finishes:
- Antique, Nickel, Black Iron, Brazen Bronze, Brushed Bronze, Brushed Chrome
- Chrome Chrome and Polished Brass French Gold Matte Chrome Nickel
- Oil Rubbed Bronze, Pearl Nickel, Platinum, Polished Brass, Polished Chrome and Polished Brass.
- Porcelain and Chrome Satin Nickel Satine Venetian Bronze Wrought Iron
- Blackened Bronze, Brushed Nickel, Chrome and Platinum, Chrome and Porcelain.
- Chrome and Satin Nickel, Classic Gold and Pebbled Cream, Dark Bronze.
- Diamond, Gold, Chrome Gold, Hammered Nickel, Nickel and Matte Black.
- Satin Nickel and Chrome, Satin Nickel and Polished Brass, Satine and Ivory,
- Satine and Polished Brass, Stainless Steel.
The variety of bathroom faucet finishes available makes it easy to find a coordinating finish for any bathroom design.
Bathroom Faucet Handles
Bathroom faucet handles come in a variety of colors and finishes. It is important to consider how the handles will coordinate with the faucet spout and sink. The handle style is an important facet of the overall design for both form and function.
Standard Lever Handles Porcelain Lever Handles Standard Cross Handles Porcelain Cross Handles
A more modern approach to handles is no handles at all. Automatic, AC or battery-powered, electronic faucets are also availble. There are many more unique handle options from which to choose to help make your bathroom faucet fit your individual taste.