So you do feel that installing a kitchen backsplash is an extremely daunting, cerebral task that calls for endless brainstorming sessions. Well, not anymore. Here are 10 tricks that are certain to ensure that you never go wrong during the installation process:
- Install the kitchen countertop first. Choose the countertop material with ingenuity and foresight, as it calls for a great deal of investment. The backsplash design must compliment or rather blend perfectly with the countertops.
- Invest in low voltage lights so as to highlight the radiance of the kitchen backsplash.
- Make sure you do not gloss over the importance of niches and ledges as nifty storage spaces.
- With the countertops in place, it’s now time to let your imagination run wild. A visit to the nearest tile shop or home improvement store would certainly pay rich dividends. Make sure you carry a piece of the countertop material with you when you decide to play matchmaker.
- With reams of newsprint being dedicated to the likes of backsplash ideas, spare a thought about scouring the glossy pages of books and design magazines. A trip to the hallowed interiors of places such as Lowes or Home Depot store is sure to be extremely inspiring. Just plonk yourself near their books section, and watch your spirits soar.
- Attention to detail is of paramount importance. So make sure you work out the patterns well in advance.
- Make sure you have catered for the not-so glamorous aspects like the adhesive and grout or special tools like wet saws.
- The choice of material is supreme. Make sure it complements the overall décor of the place. Stainless steel, glass and granite bring out the essence of a modern functional kitchen. Hand painted tiles, marble, granite and travertine add to the enigmatic rustic appeal of a Mediterranean or old world kitchen. Mosaics, murals, copper and tin are other wondrous options.
- Now to the part that would bring out the best in you- colors. The shades in the backsplash must find some representation in kitchen counters and cabinets. The theme of the kitchen is another deciding factor. While an old world styled kitchen makes a vivid statement in subdued, muted shades of gold, beige and brown, kitchens that exude a Mediterranean charm in resplendent blues and refreshing greens are every homeowners dream come true.
- Textures are another aspect that have the innate ability to strike a chord with onlookers. Once again, it’s more than just the surface that meets the eye. Contemporary kitchen spaces are characterized by a no-fuss sleek shiny facade, neat lines and uncomplicated patterns. However, it’s a feeling of warmth that tugs at the heartstrings when you feast your eyes on the rugged, aged exterior of a country kitchen backsplash.
The only thing required while designing a kitchen backsplash is soaring imagination, quite like the stuff that sci-fi writers like the venerable Arthur Clarke was made of. Eye candy addicts can get gung-ho about style-savvy peel and stick reflective tiles or even incandescent recycled aluminum tiles that up the hottie factor.
Bright animations, captivating magnets and alluring porcelain cups and plates… a bright spark of an idea to revamp the kitchen backsplash needn’t be a collage of clichés.